CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 1, 2012

SURVIVOR~ a word that took on a whole new meaning

As I sit here and type this, I think about the word...survivor.  It has so many meanings and so many visions pass through my mind.  There are those that survived a financial hardship, some survive school, others survive natural disasters, war, divorces, and the list goes on and on.  The picture at the forefront of my mind tonight is the purple shirt of Relay for Life.  You see, that purple shirt represents a person who is a cancer survivor.  How do I know that you might wonder?  My sister, she is a survivor.  A two time thyroid cancer survivor.  I have spent countless hours raising funds for Relay for Life as a committee member and chairman.  I did it be cause I cared and I did it to honor my sister, who is the strongest woman I know! Why is all of this relevant?

On December 14th, 2011, my world changed.  I was told by the doctor I had cancer.  What? Really?  Me?  NOOOOO... I have always been the relatively healthy one in our family.  Yes, over the past few years I have had a couple of small things pop up, but nothing major.  How could this be?  So this blog is me, accepting the fact that now I am a survivor.  At the time my doctor told be, my world went blank.  I wanted to pretend she was talking about someone else (how selfish is that?) I refused to cry.  How is it that two minutes before I was a sister of a survivor and then, BAM, now I am a survivor.  I told my immediate family and a couple close friends (one who is also a cancer survivor), but other than that, the word cancer was NOT coming out of my mouth!  For a few days it didn't, when asked about my pathology reports I tried changing the subjects or saying, "oh it wasn't that great, but I will be fine."  FINE?!?!? I was ANYTHING but fine!  I was scared, mad, in shock, trying to function as always, but with a HUGE white elephant in my brain!  Yes, I prayed (I am a firm believer in prayer!), I think I even tried bargaining with God. Then it hit me...I was SUPPOSED to be on this path I had no intention of ever walking!  You see, God has a way of doing that.  He places us on paths and journeys in life we have no intention of taking part of.  But this is His plan for me.  He promises that His plans are for us to prosper and not to be harmed.  At first it wasn't that comforting.  Not harmed?  HELLO, I HAD CANCER!!!!!  But wait, I am still here!  I am a SURVIVOR!  I realized one day before we left to visit family for Christmas that my journey with cancer is an opportunity.  It is an opportunity to live out my faith.  A faith that regardless of the curveballs this life throws at me WILL NOT budge!  A faith that can move mountains, a faith that when I want to cry, it reminds me that my savior willing died for ME!  A faith that has brought me through my husband's deployment, moving away from my friends and family, and the ability to say I am a better person because I endured it!  Today I stand before you a survivor of thyroid cancer.  Do I know the final results of all of this?  No, I have an upcoming appointment where I will learn more.  But I have already learned two of the most important lessons; I WILL survive this and God's plans are much bigger and better than the small little view I have of my world and that gives me more hope than I could ever imagine!

I leave you with this to ponder...What is it that you have survived?  The thing that you thought you wouldn't make it through, but have? Did you learn and grow because of it?  Did you make it through it because of your faith?  Let me know!  And in the mean time I will be praying for all of the survivors out there!

9 comments:

  1. Rest when you can, fight hard, do what you have to do to kill the damned stuff. God took me down this path during a time when my faith had deteriorated into just going through the motions. It was a wonderful opportunity to get myself back on track. Odd as it sounds, it was a blessing. Look for the good as you go through this. There, surprisingly, is a LOT of good. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Standing behind you my friend. Prayers for you as you take on this journey and kick cancers butt! ~ Kista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jami, reading this post is truly inspiring. You have an incredible outlook on life despite the circumstances and you are facing it head on with the power of Christ. My prayers are with you in your journey. You will come out of it victoriously. Blessings be to you and your family. And like they said above, kick that cancer in the BOOTAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jami, this was so inspiring and uplifting to read. You are one of the strongest and most positive people I know, and I'm confident that you will come through this with flying colors. Thank you for sharing all your positive energy and outlook on life with us. It means more than you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this and learning of your cancer set me back for a moment. You are truly one of the most amazing women I have ever met and your positive outlook and your faith in Christ is unwavering. You will beat this and along this road, you will inspire others to do the same. Your friends in Oklahoma miss you and I know I will be here praying for you, being inspired by you and looking forward to the day that Todd and I get to see you again. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaime, the diagnosis surprised me! But I know you are a survivor and an incredible woman of God! Will be praying for you..and so will Aaron. Love ya girl!
    Lori Siltman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jami,
    Thanks for sharing your story. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, you are a rock star. From the moment we met, I knew that. I also know God puts people in our lives for a reason and it's no coincidence that we're both in direct sales and use faith as a constant in our lives. I'm working on "seeing the big picture" and HIS plan with my lead coach. I am looking to you as my mentor and know that you are the inspiration I need to be a better woman. Love you, dear friend! ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep fighting. Keep us posted. We won't allow that elephant in the room to win. That's the way you have to look at it. Faith, Hope and Love have a way of getting us through things. Always let God lead the way into every room. You're never alone. Just remember that.

    ReplyDelete